[TriLUG] Re: Linux @ Wake-Tech (was: Iptables help)

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 24 13:29:25 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 11:53, Phillip Rhodes wrote:

> > Man, i'm glad I didn't take that class.  It was next up in my RHCE
> > training program there.
>
> As a rule, from what I've seen, none of the instructors teaching
> Linux at Wake Tech are especially knowledgeable about *running* Linux.
> I'm in the NET-155 class (Linux System Administration) this semester,
> and I'm  frequently having to help other people finish their labs when
> the instructor can't figure out what's wrong.
>
> I actually (only half jokingly) told our instructor that I wanted a cut
> of her pay for this semester... ;-)
>
> Monday night was nice... We had to configure a DNS server... most
> everybody in the class got stuck on that, until I came over and helped
> out.  And then we moved into sendmail, and she flat out told us "We're
> just going to talk about this, not actually try to do it, because we've
> never been able to get it to work."
>
> I don't know how long they've been offering Linux classes out there,
> but the HPC program itself is still pretty young, so I expect it to
> get better in time...
>

> TTYL,
>
> Phil Rhodes - who should probably have posted this anonymously to avoid
> ruffling feathers :-(

I've talked over at Wake Tech (VoIP).  They do an outstanding job in
general with their networking classes, but really fall short on Linux
expertise.

You can feel free to send them to this site to help them get Sendmail
running - a lot of folks (including newbies) have given me positive
feedback on it:
  http://www.trilug.org/~jonc/mailserver/

I'm also happy to teach a weekend seminar or two on Linux in general ...
or cover any specialized infrastructure function.  I live just 5 minutes
from Wake Tech, so it's easy for me to get there.

My rates are reasonable for teaching (feed me pizza).

Jon Carnes