VERPing and Personalization (was Re: [TriLUG] Iptables help)

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Mar 24 15:48:05 EST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> Yes, that's it.  All messages from the list to a given subscriber will
> have the same envelope sender for that subscriber.  The alternative,
> which mailman does NOT do, which is why my example is made up, is to
> include the message number (or some other identifier for the message),
> AND the e-mail address, both encoded in the envelope sender.  This means
> that a different envelope sender will appear in every message, even to
> the same subscriber.  This will cause the autowhitelist function in spam
> software to be useless, as it cannot group information by sender.

Further, anyone who is using the new greylisting functionality in the
spamd daemon that comes with OpenBSD 3.5 will have a heck of a time with
mailing list posts.  Each and every single post would be greylisted and
deferred for hours unless someone took the time to manually whitelist the
IP address.  This same greylisting methodology is probably going to be
more widely adopted than that.  There is already a reference
implementation written in perl as a Sendmail milter.

See http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/ on the philosophy behind
greylisting, how it works, why ezmlm breaks it, and to download the
example implementation for your Sendmail MTA (if you are running Sendmail
anyway).

So this is why I was trying to head off Tanner in IRC and ask that he not
enable VERP'ing with a message number if that ever comes up for
discussion.  Every new message would signify a unique triplet and get
stuck in the greylist for awhile, so all list posts would take hours to
arrive, and lots of mail will get stuck on the mailing list server's
outbound queue.