VERPing and Personalization (was Re: [TriLUG] Iptables help)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Wed Mar 24 15:52:20 EST 2004

Jeremy Portzer said the following on 3/24/04 3:17 PM:

> Yes, that's it.  All messages from the list to a given subscriber will
> have the same envelope sender for that subscriber.  The alternative,
> which mailman does NOT do, which is why my example is made up, is to
> include the message number (or some other identifier for the message),
> AND the e-mail address, both encoded in the envelope sender.  This means
> that a different envelope sender will appear in every message, even to
> the same subscriber.  This will cause the autowhitelist function in spam
> software to be useless, as it cannot group information by sender.

Ah, ok.  Thanks for explaining that.  It looks like we don't need to
worry about Magnus's concerns right at the moment since Mailman doesn't
do it that way, but it's good to understand that in case the situation
changes in the future.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton