[TriLUG] Alternatives to CVS

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Thu Mar 25 12:30:57 EST 2004

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Is arch still written in shell?!?  Note that it also can't handle
> spaces in filenames, so if you ever want to do that, don't bother
> with arch.  There's also the issue that it keeps changing its name
> (because of conflicts with other open source arches).
>
> Other than that, yes, it is an open source revision control system
> that is distributed like bitkeeper (but free, unlike bitkeeper).
> There's some debate, however, over whether a central repository
> vs. multiple distributed repositories is the way to go.  I would
> maintain that for almost anything an individual user would want to
> do, a central repository is much more appropriate.  And, if that's
> the case, then I'd suggest looking at subversion.  (See
> http://subversion.tigris.org/) It works quite well and fixes all
> of the little niggling problems with CVS.
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

The spaces in the filenames is soon to be fixed.  TLA as it's now called
is implemented in C.  There are some other serious flaws though, but
nothing that can't be fixed.  I agree with you that it's probably
overkill for anything I'd work on, but I like the concept of development
branches and a stable main trunk.

Joseph