VERPing and Personalization (was Re: [TriLUG] Iptables help)

Frye, Matthew Matthew.Frye at rexhealth.com
Fri Mar 26 13:47:33 EST 2004

>As a whole, LUG (not just triLUG; I am speaking
>generally) members have a bit of a stigma for impatiently telling young'uns
>to figure it out themselves..  While I certainly am a RTFM advocate, I
>always appreciate when the experts deign to explain simple things to
newbies
>who for whatever reason just aren't getting it (as I have been in that
>position more than once).

Mostly, I think it does more harm than good.  Too often, we find that the
people who say RTFM don't really even know the answer themselves, or are
just unwilling to help.  Maybe they feel possessive, as if it's a kind of
nerd Cosa Nostra.  I think someone mentioned the Luddites recently, and I
think it's the same mentality.  Either way, I feel it's counter-productive.
It doesn't promote understanding or collaboration, which are the foundations
of the open source movement.

Many people know where I stand on RTFM, so I won't say it.

MPF