VERPing and Personalization (was Re: [TriLUG] Iptables help)

Brian A. Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Fri Mar 26 14:13:11 EST 2004

I guess I should clarify, then..  What I meant was I am in favor of
encouraging folks to read the manual, and in favor of manual-reading in
general..  I agree with you, however, that simply telling the curious to
RTFM is often more harmful than helpful, as it can hurt their spirit for
learning.  It leads to the "I hate to ask..." or "I know this is a stupid
question..." mentality (which I like to try to dissuade by encouraging those
folks that asking questions is the pathway to knowledge).

Cheers,
~B