[TriLUG] OT: password cracking service for Word docs

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 27 12:59:59 EST 2004

I just tried a few things with Office 2003 with no success.  First I
created a document then protected it with two passwords (one for
reading and one for editing).  I tried the strings approach, but that
didn't work.  So I tried to pummel the whole document through od, then
take the output from od, extract anything that matched /^[A-Za-z]+$/
and print the character stuff to a tmp file (I realize this would
delete numbers in the passwords, but I was just looking to see if I
could get partial string matches).  I then tried to extract pieces of
the password through character searching of the od output file with no
real luck.  So, whatever M$ is doing it appears they are finally using
some kind of crypt() like function instead of storing plaintext
passwords (wow, what a concept).  All that said, it did appear that
portions of the text in the document were readable using this approach.
  I have to get to the airport or I'd spend more time on this, but I've
got to run... er fly.

Greg