[TriLUG] OT: password cracking service for Word docs

Timothy A. Chagnon tchagnon at nc.rr.com
Sun Mar 28 22:51:09 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 12:59, Greg Brown wrote:
> I just tried a few things with Office 2003 with no success.

From a slashdot story I remeber seeing about a year ago, Microsoft put
DRM into Office 2k3.  I couldn't find the exact story, but this one's
close:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/13/1611244&mode=thread&tid=109

I remember something about needing Win2k3 to authenticate the DRM
against, which leads me to guess they're using some sort of PKI.
Obviously they're feeling the heat from the OSS/FSF world and are trying
to lock out things like OO.o.

Anyway, my point is, your noble regex efforts may be entirely in vain if
the document is using asymmetric keys.

-Tim
--
Timothy A. Chagnon <tchagnon at nc.rr.com>