[TriLUG] Re: [OT] Instructing (was: Re: Linux @ Wake-Tech)

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Sun Mar 28 01:47:28 EST 2004

> My point is that even if a teacher doesn't know the subject matter
> before the class, he or she should be able to learn it well enough
> to be able to teach it to others.

I would actually (mildly) disagree with that position.  IMHO, to be
a really effective teacher, one should KNOW the material, and know
it cold.  I don't necessarily mean "be the worlds greatest expert"
in the subject, but in my experience, when the teacher is "learning as
he goes" the results aren't real pretty.  Now I won't say that it
*can't* go well that way... but in general, I think it's a bad situation
when the instructor is only a few steps ahead of the class.

A couple of semesters ago at Wake Tech, we had a Discrete Math
class like that.. the guy teaching had a Phd in Physics, and
"knew" higher level math.. but as he told us the first night of class
"I haven't touched this stuff in 25+ years, so I'll be learning it
right along with you all."  Uuugghh...  it wasn't a real
fun experience, and I really don't feel like I learned a whole lot
from it.

Then again, I suppose my position on teaching is biased by my
own teaching experience, and the training I went through in
the fire service.  When I took my instructor methodology course
to get my NC Fire & Rescue Commission instructor certification
I recall the instructor telling us "You don't really KNOW something
until you've taught it."  I didn't understand that until I taught
my first Firefighter I/II class...  now I'm firmly of the belief
that a teacher (at least in the fire service) needs considerable
depth of knowledge to be very effective.  To be able to explain
something to somebody else, it just seems that your knowledge
and understanding need to be deeper than just having read a chapter
ahead in the textbook..

Anyway, it's hard to explain why I feel that way, any better,
so I'll end this long, rambling, pointless rant now. :-)

TTYL,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org