[TriLUG] Re: [OT] Instructing

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sun Mar 28 02:00:29 EST 2004

Phillip Rhodes said the following on 3/28/04 1:47 AM:

> Then again, I suppose my position on teaching is biased by my
> own teaching experience, and the training I went through in
> the fire service.  When I took my instructor methodology course
> to get my NC Fire & Rescue Commission instructor certification
> I recall the instructor telling us "You don't really KNOW something
> until you've taught it."  I didn't understand that until I taught
> my first Firefighter I/II class...  now I'm firmly of the belief
> that a teacher (at least in the fire service) needs considerable
> depth of knowledge to be very effective.  To be able to explain
> something to somebody else, it just seems that your knowledge
> and understanding need to be deeper than just having read a chapter
> ahead in the textbook..

Sure, but a teacher, just like a student, isn't limited to
just using the textbook as your only source of information.
Especially with the web today you can find a bunch of other
sources.  It helps if you're able to distinguish what's good
and what's not, but you can also use other textbooks and
your own experimentation.  A teacher should not ever just be
reading one chapter ahead of his or her students, but I still
maintain that it is possible to learn enough about any subject
to teach it well and effectively.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton