[TriLUG] Re: [OT] Instructing

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Sun Mar 28 02:45:19 EST 2004

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> A teacher should not ever just be
> reading one chapter ahead of his or her students, but I still
> maintain that it is possible to learn enough about any subject
> to teach it well and effectively.

Sure, I can agree with that. It just depends on your
definition of "effectively" and the exact situation.  I thought
you were referring more to those situations where the
instructor is literally a chapter (or two) ahead of the
class.

Then again, I always try to be the "trouble maker"
student who is reading ahead in the course text, looking up
stuff on the 'Net, using alternate texts and asking
questions that make the instructor uncomfortable; so I'm
biased towards wanting an instructor who is really
on top of things.

Now, because I believe in that "you don't really know
something until you've taught it" belief that I have, I need
to pick something Linux related and learn it well enough to
do a meeting presentation, or volunteer to teach one of the
Sat. classes...  (how's that for getting back on topic? :-) )

TTYL,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org