[TriLUG] somewhat OT: mac hardware

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Mon Mar 29 23:47:40 EST 2004

> First point.  This is like asking 'do pentiums use SIMMs'?  G4 is a
> CPU. There are several different packages it's been wrapped up in in
> the past.  That said, you'll want at least a Quicksilver:
> http://www.apple-history.com/noframes/body.php?page=gallery&model=g4_
>quick_2002

mike actually makes my point here: the link he provided lists at least
eight "Power Macintosh G4" models (and yes, i realize that G4 is a cpu,
but it's also the generic moniker that powermacs tend to be called).
there are even two different "power macintosh g4 quicksilver" models.
i'm sure that mac affficionados understand the little differences
between all of them, but i sure don't.  all i see are macs that look
the same and have the same name.  so here's my question: aside from
obvious differences like cpu speed, are certain models more desirable
than others from the perspective of reliability, noise, hardware
compatibility, etc?  are there any that i should shy away from?  and
for that matter, how can you tell one from another, is there a standard
way to tell exactly which "version" a powermac g4 is without taking it
apart?

thanks to all that replied, and sorry for the OT.  if/when i get one i
promise to triple boot os9/osx/linux.  maybe even bsd to make mike
happy :)

jason