[TriLUG] somewhat OT: mac hardware

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 30 10:43:37 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 23:11, Reginald Reed wrote:
> >>also, a couple of related questions:
<SNIP

> >First point.  This is like asking 'do pentiums use SIMMs'?  G4 is a CPU.
> >There are several different packages it's been wrapped up in in the
> >past.  That said, you'll want at least a Quicksilver:
> >http://www.apple-history.com/noframes/body.php?page=gallery&model=g4_quick_2002
> >
> >As you'll see on that page, they take PC133.  Nothing that special about
> >it.  Just make sure it's quality stuff, not crap.  Apple has somehow
> >managed to always be sensetive to crap memory.  Save yourself some
> >headaches.
> >

> The latest G4's use DDR memory.
>

> >>- do they typically have ps/2 kbd/mouse ports and vga video?  i want to
> >>hook it up to my raritan ps/2 kvm switch, due to space constraints a
> >>seperate kbd/mouse/monitor are not an option.
> >>

> >Bwahahahahahaha.  Oh, ahem, no.  Apple has never supported ps/2.  They
> >do, however, make extensive use of USB.  So, your switch isn't going to
> >be of any use.  It does have VGA out.  Apple's used VGA for a while, and
> >any G4 you find will use VGA.
> >

> He can use a PS/2 to USB converter like this one
> http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GUC10KM and his switch
> will work.

You'll want to do your homework on this first. I have a G3 on a KVM with
some Intel machines and I have yet to find a PS/2->USB converter that
work in conjunction with the KVM. I tried a Y-Mouse(brand name) model
that is awesome by itself. It take a PS/2 kbd and mouse and outputs one
USB. The nifty thing is it has a little bit of brains and you can set it
to swap the CTL and Window keys to match the placement of the CMD(I
think) and apple keys on a Mac key board. And to have SysRq act as the
power button on the Mac keyboard. It, however, did not work with the
KVM.

Also, not all G3s support OSX 10.3. Mine does not. Actually, it's my
video card(original equipment) that is not supported. Again, do your
homework.

Ken

> >If you want a laptop,  I'm loving my iBook G4.

<SNIP>
> >Mike

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt