[TriLUG] somewhat OT: mac hardware

Bill Vinson bill at vinsonweb.com
Tue Mar 30 01:22:11 EST 2004

None of the current hardware systems run Mac OS 9.  For all intents and
purposes, officially Mac OS 9 is a dead platform. It is not developed
on and Apple recommends developers move their work to Mac OS X. Now,
that doesn't mean there isn't support for it still, just not a whole
lot and no new releases are likely to ever come out of Apple again. Mac
OS 9 is still usable in the "Classic" layer that allows older pre-OS X
apps to run in an emulation layer of sorts.

The only new hardware (sold as not necessarily recently released) that
can boot into both OS 9 and OS X, I believe is the PowerMac G4 systems
they sell.  However, their pricing is not very attractive in comparison
to current models.  Used/Refurb opens up more options, but most OS 9
shops will probably be moving to OS X in the near future.  Print shops
were holdouts for a while, but that is beginning to fade from what I
hear.

Step into Steve's reality distortion field, the weather is nice in here
:)

Bill
--
Bill Vinson | bill(at)vinsonweb.com | http://vinsonweb.com
GPG Fingerprint: 19C6 EC97 DFED 5E46 B19B  2143 D7DE 6EEB 6D4C C23D