[TriLUG] procmail, sendmail & SA

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Mar 31 08:45:59 EST 2004

Site wide filtering with spamassassin and sendmail is usually
accomplished one of two ways.

If you are dealing only with local users, procmail is a quick and easy
answer.  Since your users have local .procmailrc files working (from
your description), it's highly likely that procmail is setup and working
correctly.  From a cursory glance at one of my RH9 boxes, there is not a
/etc/procmailrc file by default, but you can certainly create one with
similar syntax as you would expect in a user's home directory.

If, on the other hand, as you describe, you want to filter mail that
only relays through your machine, a different approach is required.  The
reason for this, is that procmail is the local delivery agent.  It's job
is to take mail from sendmail, and place it in the appropriate spool
directory or mbox in the user's home directory (as per it's rule set).
If the mail isn't going to be delivered locally, sendmail is not going
to hand it off to procmail, so the /etc/procmailrc will have no effect.
Enter MIMEDefang.  Check out MIMEDefang and spamassassin integrating to
sendmail via the Milter interface.  It's "Good Stuff".  In addition to
spam processing and tagging, it can allow you to actually reject mail
_during_the_smtp_session_ based on the spam score and other metrics.
This becomes very important for dealing with large amounts of incoming
spam and keeping queue sizes down, but is generally nice even in small
installations.  It's also easy to integrate a virus scanner, check for
various invalidities in the message which might indicate a virus or
worm, etc, etc.

More information about particulars of setup is available here:
http://www.mimedefang.org/

Aaron S. Joyner