[TriLUG] [OT] hi-speed access in Efland (MebTel?)

Ken Dodson ked1967 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 3 14:19:38 EST 2004

Jon Carnes wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 14:00, Jeff Bollinger wrote:
>

>>Ok so Mebtel said we'd have access by the end of March.  It's April 2nd
>>and I can't wait any longer.  Anyone had experience with any satellite
>>internet services?  MebTel, Verizon, and Bellsouth do not have DSL
>>coverage to my house and neither does TWC.
>>
>>I'd really prefer DSL/Cable to satellite but I really need hi-speed
>>access for work and I've already waited over a month (since 2/20) for
>>MebTel to hook us up.  Any suggestions/warnings?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Jeff
>>

>http://www.dsltogo.net/
>
>If that doesn't work then find someone with a line of site to your house
>that *can* get TWTC (or Speakeasy.net) and then build/buy a Yagi.
>
>Good Luck - Jon Carnes

I had the two-way high speed internet service via Earthlink for a year.
It used Direcway equipment. The download speeds were
pretty good, but surfing the web was about the same speed as dialup.
Latency was a problem. My ping times averaged 900-1000ms.I cancelled the
service after my 12 month commitment and sold the hardware on Ebay. I
finally got DSL about 3 months ago and it is more dependable and faster
than my satellite internet ever was. Verizon signed me up and sent three
modems before they finally had the CO wired in my area. They finally
came through about a year after they told me DSL was available in my
area. I personally think that the two-way internet service was over
priced for the quality that I received.
 You can find some good info here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat