[TriLUG] Blocking Attachments in Exim/A really wack network admin

Matthew Lavigne maillist at shenandoahkennels.net
Fri Apr 9 22:33:03 EDT 2004

> This has been a hotly debated topic on the Mailscanner list. The
> majority of folks on the list agree that *YOU* should stop sending the
> notices.

Don't doubt this.

> Looking at the list of these viruses you will see that over 99% of
> *current* email with viruses use forged headers. That being the case,
> your antiquated idea of bouncing back these messages is valid less than
> 1% of the time.
>
> Clearly you need to get a clue and start being responsible for the mail
> passing through your systems. There are enough clueless Windows admins
> out there to keep us all busy - we don't need to add any Linux admins to
> their ranks.

Then why with the last round of viruses did I get close to 500 bounce
messages in less then 3 days???  If this is common pratice then I would
guess that the majority of Admins are not following common pratices.  I
was getting forged bounces from IBM, MS (hotmail), Yahoo, and my own
service provider.  I don't argue that this *may be* the right way to
handle it but I think that you may be being a little harsh in your "get a
clue" statement.  I would appreciate a sysadmin that took the time to ask
but I would appreciate one even more that kept me from having to deal with
the bounces.

Matthew