[TriLUG] Blocking Attachments in Exim/A really wack network admin

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 9 22:57:23 EDT 2004

> > Clearly you need to get a clue and start being responsible for the mail
> > passing through your systems. There are enough clueless Windows admins
> > out there to keep us all busy - we don't need to add any Linux admins to
> > their ranks.
>
> Then why with the last round of viruses did I get close to 500 bounce
> messages in less then 3 days???  If this is common pratice then I would
> guess that the majority of Admins are not following common pratices.  I
> was getting forged bounces from IBM, MS (hotmail), Yahoo, and my own
> service provider.  I don't argue that this *may be* the right way to
> handle it but I think that you may be being a little harsh in your "get a
> clue" statement.  I would appreciate a sysadmin that took the time to ask
> but I would appreciate one even more that kept me from having to deal with
> the bounces.
>
> Matthew

Dude, didn't mean to come off as being too mean. I was responding
to his attitude that the problem was not his, but someone else's.

I'm glad he asked, but surprised that in asking the question he did not
see that he had answered it.

As to your prattling above: learn to READ. If you want to start putting
words into my mouth then at least make them smart ones...

And yes, I agree with you that the admins of those major sites you
listed need to get on the ball! Of course part of their problem is that
they have such high levels of email throughput and such low budgets to
keep them running that they have to wait for proprietary vendors to
catch-up with Open Source.

At least I'm doing my part to help them out - one client at a time.

Jon Carnes