[TriLUG] [more and more OT]: Hobby Parts for Electronics

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Apr 14 22:08:55 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Brian A. Henning wrote:

> -1 Radio Shack.  While they had it, they wanted $15 for an LM3914/3916
> (dot/bar display driver IC), which you can get from DigiKey for about $3.
> Just one extreme example of the price gouging you can expect to encounter at
> Radio Shack.

While I agree that selling a $3 part for $15 may seem pricey, I don't
understand the general snobbishness against Radio Shack among electronics
geeks.  Sure, Radio Shack doesn't have the selection or pricing of Digikey
or similar online/catalog warehouses.  But each store doesn't have
anywhere near the sales volume, and Radio Shack locationas are close by.
According to their web site, Radio Shack has over SEVEN THOUSAND
locations.  There is almost always one in your neighboorhood, and they
have all the basic electronic parts you normally need.  They've got to pay
for all that rent somehow, so they can be near you.

Sure, if you're specing out a complex project as Weave is, or
manufacturing something in bulk, order from Digikey.  But when you are
short of something important on the day of assembly, or something breaks
at just the wrong time, I'll bet you do shop at Radio Shack.  They charge
what the market will bear, and they are successful at it.  What's so wrong
with that?

--Jeremy, who agrees that Radio Shack's motto should be, "You've got
questions, we've got blank stares."  Fortunately, I normally know exactly
what I want and don't need their help.  Digikey similarly expects you to
spout out part numbers when you call them, so no difference there.