[TriLUG] Belkin Nostromo SpeedPad N52

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Thu Apr 15 17:32:41 EDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Brian Daniels wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 01:33:42PM -0400, Lee wrote:
> > Has anyone tried to get a Belkin Nostromo SpeedPad N52 (or the N50 for
> > that matter) working under Linux. Or perhaps even heard of someone
> > getting this to work? A google search didn't turn up anything useful.
> > Windows sees it as a HID keyboard, if Linux sees it as the same, it may
> > only take a keymap or something to get it working. I've been drooling
> > over this thing for a while, but since I don't have any windows PCs at
> > home I've been holding off on getting one.
>
> I'm using a N52 at home for UT2004.  Linux (or RH9, at least) just sees it
> as a keyboard.  I can't re-program its keys, but most of the default maps
> work well with FPS games.  The others I can fix by changing the game's
> keymappings.  There is one button that I can't use because it maps to
> CapsLock which UT2004 won't let me map.  Luckily, it's not one of the
> primary controls or the D-pad.  With all those buttons, having one
> nonfunctional is no big deal.

(not Linux, but there's enough OS X users here I thought I'd mention....)

Same functionality on OS X (10.3.x Panther) as you report on Linux - the
N52 acts as a non-programmable keyboard. Belkin's promised an OS X
configuration tool but I didn't see it the last time I looked. The
default keymappings are pretty useful overall for FPS games, not quite as
useful for Pro Tools.

best,
badger at trilug