[TriLUG] Revision Controll Systems?

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Fri Apr 16 16:45:09 EDT 2004

Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> So,  What are folks using, I've looked at CVS, and more recently Subversion.
>
> I have some restrictions that many here will hiss at though.
>

> I need to run it on a Windows 2000 server.  It must work with Windows 2000
> and XP workstations.  Try as I might, I can't get _a_ copy of any Linux
> flavor approved for a production application.  "We're studying that" is
> what comes from management.  Of course, we did get one of the infamous SCO
> letters.  Kind of funny when you consider that we don't have any Linux in
> production, that they want to sue us.....
>

> We have Systems Engineers, like me, Tech Writers, and a few programmers,
> that need revision control of C++ code, scripts, documents, etc.

I hate to say it, but CVS for code and VSS for docs is probably the best
option.  CVS doesn't handle binary files well, and, since only one
person at a time can have a file checked out in VSS, you won't have
merging issues.  Of course that means that only one user can edit a file
at a time.  If your documents are text based and not PDF or some other
binary format, then using CVS would be preferable there too.

I'm not sure how well the cvs plugins for Visual Studio work, nor how
bit your operation is, but I hate having code in VSS.  It blows when two
developers have to modify the same file simultaneously.  If I had a
nickel for every time I had to e-mail code to the developer with the
file checked out...

Joseph