[TriLUG] Revision Controll Systems?

Jim Wright JWright at NetCentrics.com
Fri Apr 16 17:49:20 EDT 2004

Another +1 for CVS...also note that if anyone in your group uses an IDE
or editor that only supports VSS, there are a couple of CVS clients that
will translate...I have had good luck integrating CVS with Homesite/CF
Studio by using igloo...
http://www.jalindi.com/igloo/index.html

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Joseph Tate
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 4:45 PM
To: Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Revision Controll Systems?

Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> So,  What are folks using, I've looked at CVS, and more recently
Subversion.

> I have some restrictions that many here will hiss at though.
>

> I need to run it on a Windows 2000 server.  It must work with Windows
> 2000 and XP workstations.  Try as I might, I can't get _a_ copy of any

> Linux flavor approved for a production application.  "We're studying
> that" is what comes from management.  Of course, we did get one of the

> infamous SCO letters.  Kind of funny when you consider that we don't
> have any Linux in production, that they want to sue us.....
>

> We have Systems Engineers, like me, Tech Writers, and a few
> programmers, that need revision control of C++ code, scripts,
documents, etc.

I hate to say it, but CVS for code and VSS for docs is probably the best
option.  CVS doesn't handle binary files well, and, since only one
person at a time can have a file checked out in VSS, you won't have
merging issues.  Of course that means that only one user can edit a file
at a time.  If your documents are text based and not PDF or some other
binary format, then using CVS would be preferable there too.

I'm not sure how well the cvs plugins for Visual Studio work, nor how
bit your operation is, but I hate having code in VSS.  It blows when two
developers have to modify the same file simultaneously.  If I had a
nickel for every time I had to e-mail code to the developer with the
file checked out...

Joseph