[TriLUG] IPTables throughput limitations?

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Thu Apr 22 08:54:32 EDT 2004

Don't know if this helps, but...

The TriLUG firewall used at meetings used to be a pentium 90, 40MB RAM, 2GB
HDD, 2 10Mb PCMCIA NICS running Debian stable with iptables as the masq
firewall. I also had Squid proxy on it and DHCPD. Before the PCMCIA slots
died, we would have anywhere from 30-70 folks on it, depending on the
meeting, and the notebook handled it fine. Logs showed very little cpu
utilization, very few collisions, etc.

We used it at InstallFests for FTP installs as well as outside traffic. No
real problems.

Alas, she burned herself up (PCMCIA slots) and has been retired. <*sniff*>
We beat the crap out of it and right up to it's retirement, it worked fine.

So my thought? Works fine. :)

Side Note - the first firewall I was involved with was a pentium 233MMX
desktop, 64MB RAM, 2GB HDD, 2 10Mb 3Com NICs running RedHat 6.2, ipchains,
and pmfirewall. Worked fine too. (still in my office at work!)

HTH