[TriLUG] IPTables throughput limitations?

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 10:48:24 EDT 2004

My iptables fw at home runs on a 1997 AMD 166 w/ 256mb ram, few GB HD ... and
I'd feel 100% confident about placing a comparable machine in for my corporate
fw serving 40+ people, hosting email and soon to host web applications offering
web services to a couple thousand customers.  However, I do have the luxury
that I will get better hardware than that for my corp fw implementation and I'm
not concerned about it being swamped.  I have to worry about www and db
machines at that point!  I don't know anything about true thru-put of iptables
though.  I can check "top" while doing a download at 360Kb/s (yay RR 3mbit!)
and see 0.0's across the board (as if 1 user download really represents a
load... ).

laters,
David