[TriLUG] OT: Developer Rates

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Apr 23 09:27:16 EDT 2004

IANAL - use your own judgment or seek professional help if you are so
inclined.  With that out of the way...

In this case, it's going to come down to a criminal charge under the
RICO act or some other criminal statute describing price fixing.  This
of course assumes that a DA wants to prosecute you for it, because he
believes you are in the wrong or stepping dangerously close to it.  Then
it comes to a jury of your peers.  So the real question is, when
presented to 12 anonymous random people, would you be willing to stand
up and say "I wasn't doing anything wrong"?  If those people believe
from the evidence at hand that your intentions are reasonable, you're
probably in the clear.  On the other hand, if your text presents (to
that jury) the appearance that you're attempting to "aim for" a price or
coerce other people toward a price, that's dangerous ground.

I believe the original advice of "don't discuss prices" is a rather
reasonable knee-jerk response to any price / rate discussion.  It's
best, especially in a text forum, to be very sure everyone is aware of
what they are saying and the potential ramifications of it.  I'm sure
there are plenty of examples of court cases made or broken by a
statement taken out of context.  And as we're probably all aware, with
out the human voice / inflection / tone information that's available in
speech, things are much easier to mis-interpret.

So in short, be cautious of what you say, but with due diligence you can
safely and legally determine how to set your rates.  Although an
auto-archived text forum monitored by hundreds of people may not be the
best place to have that discussions if you are of the paranoid
persuasion.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner