[TriLUG] webalizer and Apache VirtualHosts AND log rotate

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Wed May 5 08:48:03 EDT 2004

Something I'd have to fumble with personally, but you can write a script do
make anything happen.  In plain english...

1.  Add /etc/webalizer/merge_webalizer.conf and configure it as if it was
another VH but provide filename locations such as
/var/lib/webalizer/merge.hist, etc.

A couple minutes before your webalizer.sh runs (or as part of that script, just
at the beginning of it).

2.  Add VHhost1_access.log + VHhost2_access.log + VHhostx_access.log into
mergehosts_access.log
3.  When webalizer.sh runs, it should pick up each of your VHs separately as it
should be, but it will also pick up your merge_webalizer.conf and run that just
as it would the others.

That's in a nutshell.  You would append those access logs to
mergehosts_access.log each time you added them up.  You would also possibly
need something for log rotate.

Speaking of LOG ROTATE: Will these individual access logs that are setup for
these VirtualHosts rotate on their own??  It just occurred to me I never paid
any attention to that over the last 12 months with my previous install prior to
its crash.

thanks and hth,
David M.

--- Ryan Wheaton <ryan.wheaton at comcast.net> wrote:
> Thanks for this.  I'm going to implement it immediately.
>
> one other thing i'd like to know how to do though is to have it process
> the virtual hosts individually, but also give me reporting on the
> server (all virtual hosts) as a whole [having my cake and eating it
> too].  So that way I won't have to look at each page individually and
> tally it up.  I could do this with a seperate config file and just use
> mergelog to stick all the virtual host logs into one file, but I was
> wondering if anyone knew of a "better" way of doing this?
>
> -r
<<snip>>