[TriLUG] Knoppix 3.4 - Local TriLUG torrent

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu May 6 11:34:30 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 03:37:32PM -0400, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> The latesst Knoppix, version 3.4 which includes a 2.6 kernel, came out
> today.

I thought 3.4 was out a couple of weeks back?  When Jim Ray
was asking about Knoppix on his AMD I checked and _thought_
I saw 3.4 with optional 2.6 being advertised.  Just splitting
hairs while avoiding real work.

> I've set up a torrent for TriLUG users, since the global ones seem to be
> having trouble.
>
> Here's the link:
> http://cary.portzer.com/KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN.torrent

You're a webpage wizard ;->  Actually I appreciate the restraint.
I maintain www.sigtran.org and got a request to link www.netbricks.com
which I refused because it locks up Firebird and Firefox.  The page
source is full of what I suppose is ActiveX.

> Please make sure port 6881 is open and forwarded if necessary (or use
> the range 6881 through 6889 if you're connected to more than one torrent
> at a time).  This is especially important since this torrent may have
> fewer users than normal.
>
> Let me know if you have any problems.  If you need help on getting
> bittorrent set up and working, let me know as well.

I read through the bit torrent intro/faqs/server setup (I've not
done b/t yet).  I like what I see - in theory.  My security sensors
are tingling though perhaps more out of ignorance than anything else.
Also, once you become part of a bit torrent network are you a relay for
anything including unathorized distributions of copyrighted works?

I like these excerpts from the server setup guide:

1. "it's primarily written for people running Windows"
2. "Therefore it's strongly recommended that you use a tracker running
on a stable server system (as opposed to your unstable Windows desktop
system)."

> Jeremy
> --
> | Jeremy Portzer        jeremyp at pobox.com      trilug.org/~jeremy     |
> | GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F  E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |

Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.