[TriLUG] OT: Dial-Up ISP

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Sat May 8 13:31:23 EDT 2004

Mike,

Well, take it from a career ISP man:  If you have enough customers to keep
yourself in business, it's not practical to support every possible piece of
software that they might be running.  Fact is, there are half a dozen
different modem dialers for Linux.  Add to that the different modems that
Linux might or might not support, 50 different distros, and the fact that
two people running the same distro might have boxes that look completely
different from one another, and you've got a support quagmire that's just
ridiculous.  You can't support Linux in a cost-effective manner (as an ISP,
that is) the way that you can with Windows or Mac.  Those two are difficult
enough, given the differences between Mac OS versions and versions of
Windows that folks might be using, not to mention 20 or so different email
clients, news clients, browsers, IM clients, etc.  Basically, while choice
is a good thing, as an ISP, it's not practical to support everything.  You
unfortunately have to pick the applications and OSes that are most widely
used by your customer base and support those.  Good ISPs know what their
customers are running, and support it.  When I worked for MindSpring back in
the day, we had quite a number of Linux users on staff who wrote up docs for
configuring Linux dialers to connect to MindSpring's dialup services, but we
did not support those customers dialers.  We would provide them with the
configuration docs that we had, and anything else was up to them.  It wasn't
ideal for the Linux user, obviously, and as support reps, you hate to have
to tell any customer that you can't help them, but the fact is that the
training it would have taken to get us to be able to support those customers
would have made us all overqualified for our jobs, in many respects.

Now, don't get me wrong, here.  I don't think that a company should turn
away Linux users, or that they should hang up the phone when someone says
that they're using Linux, but there's only so much troubleshooting that can
go on if you're not trained on Linux.  Half the battle in tech support is
determining if the caller who claims to be a consultant is really an idiot
or if they actually do know half as much as they think they do.  I've had
plenty of calls where a "sysadmin" or MCSE or computer engineer with a
problem that just couldn't possibly be his/her problem turned out to be
exactly that, because they didn't check on everything, or didn't know that a
particular modem string would get their modem to connect when it otherwise
couldn't.

Ack.  Looks like you got one of my hot buttons on this one.  I guess I'm
saying that you have to be very careful in how you define 'Linux friendly'.
My personal take on it is that anyone who doesn't hang up on you the minute
you say that you're using Linux is 'Linux friendly', even if they can't help
you troubleshoot your configuration or tell you exactly what's wrong.  But
that's just my take.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--