[TriLUG] Re: OT: Dial-Up ISP

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Mon May 10 11:42:38 EDT 2004

Hey Ben,
    I completely understand your point of view about supporting Linux. I
don't expect RR to support Linux. The number of distros and the number
of version in each distro make that unreasonable.
     However, I expect an ISP to support their network. I called RR
support because my connection was down. I mean the lights were on on
the modem, but I could not ping out. Once I said that I was running
Linux, the support drone stated that they did not support Linux and
could not  help me. When I pushed that I wanted support of the network
not my machine, the drone held the corporate line and eventually hung
up on me. I did get kind of hot, but never swore nor was I abusive. I
was really pissed off at that point. That is Linux UNFRIENDLY.
     I have never expected an ISP to support my Linux machine. ISPs
provide network connectivity and I expect then to support their
network. A network does not, or rather should not, depend on the
machine I'm using. Simply supporting the network connection regardless
of the OS of the client would be Linux friendly enough for me.

Ken

On May 8, 2004, at 1:31 PM, Ben Pitzer wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Well, take it from a career ISP man:  If you have enough customers to
> keep
> yourself in business, it's not practical to support every possible
> piece of
> software that they might be running.  Fact is, there are half a dozen
> different modem dialers for Linux.  Add to that the different modems
> that
> Linux might or might not support, 50 different distros, and the fact
> that
> two people running the same distro might have boxes that look
> completely
> different from one another, and you've got a support quagmire that's
> just
> ridiculous.  You can't support Linux in a cost-effective manner (as an
> ISP,
<SNIP>
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt