WebDAV ? - Re: [TriLUG] putting files to a server with a browser

Chip Turner cturner at pattern.net
Fri May 14 08:24:57 EDT 2004

Magnus Hedemark <chrish at trilug.org> writes:

> Experience?  Yes.
>
> Happy?  Not yet.
>
> I haven't looked at this in awhile but my impression was that the clients
> weren't really ready for WebDAV yet so its usefulness was limited at the
> time.  Maybe things are better now, I don't know.  I think I played with
> this last about a year ago.

I've used a bit of webdav inside of Apache 2.0 and it has worked
fairly well.  Mac OS X can mount webdav as filesystems and that part
works quite well against that setup, too.  There are other webdav
client programs but it varies.  The biggest limitation seems to be
good client support.  There are linux filesystem drivers and they
seemed to work but I didn't really push the limits.

One other option is to look at PUT inside of webdav, which more
clients may support.  In fact, the lftp program works great against
webdav since it uses PUT as well.  PUT isn't actually part of webdav
(it's part of core http) but apache 2.0's mod_dav implements it
nicely.  (lftp is a great program even w/o that functionality; great
ftp client that speaks ftp, http, ssh, etc).

Chip

Chip Turner                   cturner at pattern.net