Cable/DSL "shared" access myth (was Re: [TriLUG] Port 25 blocked)

Dan trilug at daijin.nulluser.com
Wed May 19 11:09:27 EDT 2004

--On Tuesday, May 18, 2004 03:48:21 PM -0400 Jeremy Portzer
<jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:

> The idea that DSL has "dedicated" bandwidth is one of the biggest myths
> of broadband Internet.  Sure, the bandwidth is "dedicated" from the CO
> (Central Office) or DSLAM (DSL access module) for the "last mile" to
> your home or business........

And for others, like me, it comes down to personal choice.  I understand
all of the technical arguments but I abhor doing business with the cable
company.  so much so that I suffered through two years of dialup modem
waiting for DSL to become available to me.  I have had cable access to my
house since 1990, got satellite TV around 2000 and have never looked back.

By the way, the ads cable makes blasting satellite for going out when it
rains are blatantly false.  I've had my reception blocked maybe 4 times in
the last four years.  Even during the heavy snow storms this last winter
the satellite signal was strong, that pleasantly surprised me.

--
Dan