Cable/DSL "shared" access myth (was Re: [TriLUG] Port 25 blocked)

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Wed May 19 12:10:37 EDT 2004

Dan said the following on 5/19/04 11:09 AM:

> By the way, the ads cable makes blasting satellite for going out when it
> rains are blatantly false.  I've had my reception blocked maybe 4 times
> in the last four years.  Even during the heavy snow storms this last
> winter the satellite signal was strong, that pleasantly surprised me.

I haven't seen the ads, so I can't comment on them.  I can say, however,
that when I had satellite I did have this problem.  It certainly wasn't
uncommon, but it didn't really seem to depend on the strength of the rain.
The best I could determine was that it was because of the size of the
raindrops.  Snow didn't affect it at all.  Oh, and this was in two different
locations with two different types of dishes (one small sony dish and a
larger multi-satellite dish).  So, I wouldn't call this problem "blatently
false".  It is a problem and you can get bitten by it.  It's just one
of the reasons why I have cable now.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton