[TriLUG] Run two OS simultaneously

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Mon May 24 23:11:35 EDT 2004

Oh, and there's Xen: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/

I have no experience with either to share with you, so hopefully
some other Tri-LUG'ers can chip in.  I have OTOH, used VMWare
quite extensively in the past, and can offer the following
observations, which might or might not be relevant
to Bochs or Xen:

1. virtualization takes a LOT of memory.  If you do nothing
else, load the machine you want to work with down with RAM,
if possible.

2. it's somewhat CPU intensive as well.  Use the fastest CPU
you have available / can afford / can overclock too / can beg,
borrow, steal, etc.

3. Otherwise, it works pretty well.  We used VMWare running on
Windows, with Linux as the guest OS, and used RPC to communicate
between a process running under Windows, and a Linux process, and it
worked quite well (for the most part, and what problems we had
didn't really have anything to do with VMWare, per-se).

TTYL,

Phil