[TriLUG] Run two OS simultaneously

Smith, Brett bsmith at bloodhoundinc.com
Tue May 25 09:31:25 EDT 2004

qemu is all you need ...
read the docs on qemu
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC10
and check out bochs how to as it will help you understand
then when you are ready do this

dd if=/dev/zero of=w98.img bs=1024 seek=mysize count=0

myimage should be your disk size in kb. <not sure but I think you can put M
behind it for MB>

then make and iso of your w98disk. I do this for speed. it is not necessary
but you will want to installs take a while no need to tie up the cdrom drive

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=w98.iso bs=1024

then when all that is done do this

qemu -hda w98.img -cdrom w98.iso -boot d

*** Boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c) or CD-ROM (d). Hard disk boot is the
default. ***

this should start the install for you

then when it is time to reboot change the command to boot from c

qemu -hda w98.img -cdrom w98.iso -boot c