[TriLUG] EXT3 Errors

Joshua Gitlin josh at glowfilms.com
Tue Jun 1 12:13:16 EDT 2004

Hey TriLUG,

Over the weekend I started noticing very weird problems with my /home
partition. I was trying to connect to my Mandrake linux box using VNC,
and I kept getting a message about an error in my .Xauthority file.
Well, the odd thing is, in my home directory, `ls -al .X*` produces a
list of files that did not include .Xauthority. Nor did `la -al *`.
However, `ls -l .Xauthority` showed me a single .Xauthority file. I
could edit it, using pico and vi, as well as cat > to it. However, I
couldn't remove or unlink it (both said "No such file or directory").

I assumed that something had gone terribly wrong somewhere and somehow
this file was only partially in existence. Not knowing what else to do,
I created a tar backup of my entire /home partition, and erased the
/home partition using `mkfs.ext3 -j /dev/hdb1`. Now, when I go to
un-tar the archive back into /home, I get the following messages:

Jun  1 08:12:28 jn kernel: EXT3 FS on hdb1, internal journal
Jun  1 08:12:28 jn kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count
reached, running e2fsck is recommended

The messages repeat over and over as long as tar -x is running... On
both my console and in my syslog. I've run e2fsck /dev/hdb1, and  it
said everything was fine. Any thoughts?

-Josh

Due to the recent increase in spam and falsely sent email, I now PGP
Sign all of my outgoing mail to prove my identity. This means that you
will see an attachment called "PGP.sig" with this message. This
attachment can be used to prove that I am who I say I am. If you are
not familiar with PGP, you can safely ignore it. For more information,
please visit http://www.pgp.com/ or http://www.gnupg.org/