[TriLUG] need better router

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Jun 2 07:07:34 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Mike M wrote:

> Is a P5-133Mhz with 16MB sufficient for implementing a secure router?
> It needs to replace a Linksys appliance in terms of performance.

Yes, though I'd suggest trying to find more RAM if possible.

I was using a P5 100MHz with 32MB for years, running OpenBSD.  Three
legged network (home secure LAN, Internet, and "guest" network for my
build farm).  CPU was idle most of the time.  The added memory lets you
maintain a bigger state table, maybe some DNS cache, etc.

> I have 2 each rtl8139 NICs for the box but I could get Intel or 3Com
> NICs if that is necessary to meet performance requirements.

3Com would be a step down.  Intel e100 would be a step up.  rtl8139 is not
exactly a high end ethernet chipset but I have deployed a couple of
hundred of them with zero failures to date.  I can't begin to estimate how
many 3Com NICs have given up the ghost on my watch.