[TriLUG] need better router

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 2 15:55:59 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 02:36:31PM -0400, Michael Hrivnak wrote:
> I'll simply caution that using old hardware, especially hard drives, is risky.
> Make sure you make regular backups, and I would avoid doing anything
> critical.  Those old drives are just waiting around for the wrong moment to
> die.

Don't I know it :-) The box running OpenBSD is on its 3rd HDD.  It seems
to have settled in for the long haul now.

> These days it isn't difficult to find a solid-state appliance router for under
> $30 that will last forever.  If you need more functionality, go for the
> custom machine, but be careful!

It's the extra functionality I need/want.  I want to pin-prick the
firewall to allow a particular IP to come through.  I want to
further restrict the access to SSH activity on a particular machine on
my LAN.

Per earlier
discussion on this list, I became skeptical that the consumer
router appliances could be trusted with non-trivial routing rules.

The box will be dedicated to firewalling/routing.  If it blows
I can swap in the appliance I am running now in minutes.

> Michael
>
> On Wednesday 02 June 2004 02:24 pm, John Broome wrote:
> > Mike M wrote:
> > >
> > > Sweet. Thanks...er, I forgot, f/o.
> >
> > Mike, it sounds like you'll fit right in.

Prepared for the onslaught of newbie questions?  I did see the
RTFM admonishment in afterboot man page.
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.