[TriLUG] lvm2 killed by win2k

Owen Berry trilugbucket at berrybunch.net
Fri Jun 4 09:12:42 EDT 2004

I just spent most of this last weekend turning an older workstation
into a dual boot using Gentoo. Last night I needed to jump back into
Windows to work on something I haven't got working on Linux yet.  For
some reason Win2k decided that one of my drives should really be an
ntfs partition, even though it wasn't mounting it, and ran checkdisk
on it. I was multi-tasking at the time and only saw this happening out
of the corner of my eye, too late to stop it. When I tried to boot
back into Linux, all the lvm2 stuff failed with corrupt metadata
errors. Booting back into the Gentoo rescure/live cd I got the same
errors when trying to run vgscan, vgdisplay or vgchk, etc. Looking at
the drives under fdisk and parted I see (not at the machine right
now):

/dev/hda	/dev/hda1		ntfs		(Win2k)
			/dev/hda2		ext3		/boot
			/dev/hda3		ext3		/
			/dev/hda5		linux swap
/dev/hdb	/dev/hdb1		reiserfs	lvm
/dev/hdd	/dev/hdd1		ntfs		lvm

/dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdd1 were under lvm2 as a single volume group, and
/dev/hdd1 was reiserfs. Not sure why Windows decided it didn't like
hdd1, but was fine with /dev/hdb1. Whatever!

The question is, is there any chance of recovery? And if so, how?
Luckily I just had Gentoo installed, no data on there yet, so a
reinstall would not be the end of the world, but it would be a big
PITA.

If I have to start over, I'll be filling those disks with 0's, setting
up the file systems, booting into Windows to make sure it doesn't
happen again, and THEN going ahead!

Thanks,
Owen