[TriLUG] User Friendliness and Linksys wrt54g

Rock Roskam Rock.Roskam at sas.com
Fri Jun 4 09:24:18 EDT 2004

I have been watching userlinux as a distribution, and Debian.  I would like a linux distribution that is easy to use for the desktop and free.  I think the current hurdles and prices main stream distributions are placing on linux are going to slow adoption on the desktop.  Items like Lindows charging free software.  Mandrake separating out the software between community and official dividing the drivers, support forums, and upgrade process.  Redhat waffling on the desktop.  Suse not providing ISO's or support for current hardware.  All of them using a different installer, update software, libraries.  Linux needs more common denominators.  The concepts of linux for the average user is still too confusing.  But a free distribution is still going to have to provide updates and security fixes.  Linux still faces the same challenges it has since its inception.

-new hardware does not work automatically
-no common interface other than the cli
-updating, upgrading and patching are a pain
-poor compatibility with MS windows
-multimedia is harder to use
-less commercial games and applications
-shaky business model which competes with itself

Makes for good entertainment though.  Hand out Knoppix like it is candy.

By the way the linksys firmware upgrade for Sveasoft is dead easy and the QOS helps out of the box without manually configuring the scripts.

Rock