[TriLUG] User Friendliness

stan briggs stan at stanbriggs.com
Fri Jun 4 09:15:10 EDT 2004

a few thoughts on david's excellent points:

it was not the geeks that made windows popular.
it was not us geeks tweaking memory management, disk sizes, and such
that made windows popular. it was ease of use. and not just for the
end-user. it was easy to install and get up and running. for the most
part it really did not require a lot understanding of what was happening
under the hood. how many of you remember your first windows install? the
biggest pain was switching floppies on demand. but the point is that
almost literally anyone could do it! you could install a computer!
(note: the biggest pain was really making your own copy of the
floppies!)

applications are close.
i believe, i truly believe, that, for the most part, we are getting very
close with ease of use of applications. we need more applications but
the ones that are there are getting close. the desktops are cool and
slick. (though i can't sometimes figure out how to add to some of the
menus, either.) the applications are not going to come in-mass and
really get good until the mass end-user train is on our tracks.

making basic sys-admin work easy is the ticket.
i really believe that it's the low- to mid- level administation (basic
install, automated updates, workgoup'ing, etc.) that so many people have
been able to do for so long on windows that will make us successful.
there will always be us geeks working under the hood. there will always
be end-users that will use what is provided for them. we need to make it
easier for these administators to be.

my $.03

stan