[TriLUG] User Friendliness

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Fri Jun 4 18:39:24 EDT 2004

I'm going to have to wade in here on this one....

Number one, while I use Gimp a lot (ok, exclusively right now since I gave
away my old copy of Paint Shop Pro), and while I'm quite accomplished with
it (see trilug.org/~william or free.house.cx/~william), IMVHO it is (and
has always been) a pain to use.  Try doing nice features like cut out text
or beveled surfaces for example.

In order to do anything productive with Gimp, you have to know everything
the program can do, and a lot of things it can't (want to make everything
around an object transparent?  I hope you have a few hours available...)

Number two, the people doing the engineering on something usually aren't
the best at designing interfaces.  If it was up to some of the more
hard-core *nix geeks, we'd all be using sh and ed.  The differences in
Gnome, KDE, Windows, and Mac that were discussed ad nauseum on this thread
some months ago are more than enough evidence.

Now, from a certain perspective in UI, you can never design a perfect
interface.  I had a professor who would tell us, "I don't know what the
right design is, but that isn't it."--and for good reason.  No matter how
well you understand the system, there will be someone who finds the
interface confusing, or who attempts to use it in ways it wasn't intended.

I wish everyone who designed something had a powerful, easy to use
interface for it, but the fact of the matter is that that's an
impossibility.

William