[TriLUG] 1.2.3.4. I declare a distro war...

Joshua Gitlin josh at glowfilms.com
Fri Jun 4 19:46:21 EDT 2004

> I won't join in the war, but I will state that I have happily used both
> MDK 9.x and now SuSE 9.0 on my Compaq 2525US.  MDK found most, SuSE
> found all of the hardware, and while I haven't used it to put the
> machine to sleep, it accurately reports battery status etc.  Wireless,
> sound, etc all work splendidly, as does the CD burner.

I can second the recommendation for MDK 9.1. I have it installed on an
older Dell Inspiron, and it found all of my hardware except the
wireless card (which is a variation of the acx100 strain of cards --
http://acx100.sourceforge.net/ ). Boy, was that a huge pain to get
working... but that's my fault for getting a chaep-o wireless card ;).
Oh, I also had to to some (read: a lot) tweaks to get LIRC working with
the built in IRDA port... But it was worth it, now I can change the
channel on the T.V. via SSH :)

One thing to note is that the system does not always sleep when I close
the lid... but my kernel uses APM (which was probably a mistake) and
acx100 seems to stop the system from sleeping (or cause it to crash
upon wake from sleep). I do, however, have software suspend installed
(http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/) and that kicks ass! (I love swsusping
and switching to Windows for a quick thing, and then booting right back
to where I was in linux!) swsusp took a while to get working, but
that's mostly because it required rolling my own kernel.

I'm considering upgrading to Mandrake 10.0 which I have installed on my
desktop, but don't look forward to recompiling acx100_pci.

-Josh