[TriLUG] 1.2.3.4. I declare a distro war...

William Schulz sws at trilug.org
Fri Jun 4 14:45:13 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:37:40PM -0400, Dave Sorenson wrote:
> I understand and acknowledge this is throwing gasoline on a forest fire, but
> I feel <EVIL GRIN> mischievous </EVIL GRIN> today. I'm finally ready to dual
> boot my new Compaq laptop, gotta keep XP so I'm looking for good dual boot
> behavior. (I know XP is the bratty kid in my dual boot classroom, but I need
> a distro that will coexist as well as it can). Good hardware support is
> tops, Knoppix finds all the hardware except the Broadcom wireless, I'll use
> NDIS wrapper for that.
>
> My question given the power/special hibernate/ handle M$XP shenanigans, what
> is the best distro to load on a modern laptop?

I won't join in the war, but I will state that I have happily used both
MDK 9.x and now SuSE 9.0 on my Compaq 2525US.  MDK found most, SuSE
found all of the hardware, and while I haven't used it to put the
machine to sleep, it accurately reports battery status etc.  Wireless,
sound, etc all work splendidly, as does the CD burner.

SWS