[TriLUG] Does JVM use the TCP/IP stack when talking through 127.0.0.1 to a nother JVM?

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Wed Jun 9 13:27:19 EDT 2004

Smith, Brett wrote:
> Does JVM use the TCP/IP stack when talking through 127.0.0.1 to another JVM?
> This is over my head but a developer needs the answer so don't flame if I am
> way off.

I'm not expert either, but I deal with Java networking code nearly
every day.  <disclaimer> Still, I could be wrong </disclaimer>

You might consider asking on the JUGlist:
   email:Juglist at trijug.org

> JVM > socket > 127.0.0.1 > socket > JVM

yes, that is how it works.

> If it does is there a way not to use the full TCP/IP stack in Linux.

I don't see how.  The JVM relies on the underlying OS for these
functions.

> I have been told that windows does not it talks directly to the other JVM
> socket.

I have never heard of such a thing, but I doubt it.  How would it know
which one to talk to?  There could be multiple 'other' JVMs, all listening
on different ports.  I have seen no indication of this behavior.

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.           |  http://www.webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software