[TriLUG] Does JVM use the TCP/IP stack when talking through 127.0.0.1 to a nother JVM?

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 13:47:01 EDT 2004

Christopher L Merrill wrote:

> Smith, Brett wrote:
>
>> Does JVM use the TCP/IP stack when talking through 127.0.0.1 to
>> another JVM?
>> This is over my head but a developer needs the answer so don't flame
>> if I am
>> way off.

I'd say that in general the answer is "yes", with the caveat
that it might depend on the underlying operating system.  That is,
127.0.0.1 is an IP address, just like any other, and traffic sent
through that interface is IP traffic, blah, blah..

But, it is a "special" address in a sense, and I suppose the
OS might be allowed by the specs to treat that traffic differently
than "normal" IP traffic...

Still, I'd be highly inclined to think that for all practical
purposes you can assume that it does.

TTYL,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org