[TriLUG] procmail idiot here...

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Jun 9 13:32:13 EDT 2004

Hi guys,
  I've read the procmailrc man page..  I've even made successful, effective
procmail recipes.  Unfortunately, however, it's been a while and I no longer
have access to my previous procmail work (it was with a previous employer),
and I am losing my brain here trying to re-figure it out...  So I'm asking
for help, because I think I am just missing something simple.  Hopefully.

So here's what I'm trying to do.  I want to simply create a copy of every
message sendmail receives (regardless of recipient) in a separate mailbox,
which I will then comb through, sort, and use as fodder for sa-learn.

So far, everything I've tried results in an endless-loop situation.  I think
I understand the mechanics of the endless loop (procmail catches a message,
which it forwards, which gets caught by procmail, which forwards it...etc).
What I can't figure out is how to get it to simply work right, creating a
single copy of the message in the destination mailbox (and of course still
deliver it to its intended recipient as well).

Also, I'd like it to occur completely blindly, i.e. with no extra header
info inserted (which could possibly mislead sa-learn).

So am I asking too much here?  It seems like it ought to be a simple matter.
I'll settle for dumping the message into a file (rather than a mailbox) if
necessary.

Also, can anyone advise an easy way to export mail messages from Outlook or
Outlook Express into a format useful to sa-learn?

Thanks, as always, for all your help.

Cheers,
~Brian
Brian A. Henning