[TriLUG] VHS Tapes, Digital Video Cameras and DVD Recorders

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Thu Jun 10 13:17:18 EDT 2004

This is one area where Linux is far behind. The first step would be
capturing the video to the HD. There are a number of video capture
cards that work with Linux. Most require kernel tweaking to work. Once
you have the video captured, you need to master the dvds. dvdauthor
exists, but isn't the most user friendly app around. There a couple of
others, but dvdauthor is the leader. Then you'll need to burn the disk.
Actually, that is probably going to be the easiest step.

I tried to do this with some tapes. For capturing I tried a ATI Radeon
All-In-Wonder. It required much kernel tweaking and add-ons modules
just to capture. The video quality was crap. The card worked great on
the same machine in Win2k. I also tried using a Hauppauge PVR-250 card
that I bought for building a MythTV box(still in progress). Capturing
was easy, but it only captured to mpeg.

I have since bought a Powerbook. Oh my. Between a firewire port, iMovie
and iDVD, I had a DVD made from raw footage off my digital video camera
in no time. Well, the encoding took a while, but the time it took me to
master the disk was short. It was incredibly easy to use, yet feature
rich.

I know you asked about Linux, but I tried and the curve was just too
steep. For me anyway. I wouldn't suggest this a project for anyone
other than a seriously experienced Linux user. Windows and OSX are
better places for a newbie to try this. I hope someone proves me wrong,
but that is my opinion from my experience.

Ken