[TriLUG] VHS Tapes, Digital Video Cameras and DVD Recorders

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jun 10 16:44:18 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 13:17, Ken Mink wrote:
> This is one area where Linux is far behind. The first step would be
> capturing the video to the HD. There are a number of video capture
> cards that work with Linux. Most require kernel tweaking to work. Once
> you have the video captured, you need to master the dvds. dvdauthor
> exists, but isn't the most user friendly app around. There a couple of
> others, but dvdauthor is the leader. Then you'll need to burn the disk.
> Actually, that is probably going to be the easiest step.

There's another easy alternative to a video capture card, if you have
a miniDV or similar digital video camera.  Most of these cameras have an
analog video/audio in port.  You connect the output of your VCR to this
port, and then connect the camera's firewire port to your computer.
Voila, video capture with no extra hardware needed!

This assumes you have come up with a good way to do Firewire DV in
Linux...  I've only done the above in Windows.

--Jeremy