[TriLUG] 1.2 GHz CPU and 802.11b

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 13 06:09:30 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 02:37, Nathan Conrad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My laptop has a 1.2 GHz Athlon4 CPU. I also have a wireless card. I
> think that I've noticed that with high CPU usage, the quality of my
> wireless connection goes down a lot. But, when I use cpufreq to scale
> the CPU frequency to something lower, I seem to get better network
> throughput.
>
> Is this common to laptops? or should I demand that Best Buy replace my
> laptop because it is broken?
>
> -Nathan

Make sure you know what you are measuring. If you are measuring
throughput based on file downloads across the network, then you might
simply be measuring your HD's ability to write/read to disk. Older
laptops have notoriously slow IDE drives (whose throughput is a function
of the available cpu).

NMH - Jon Carnes