[TriLUG] Mandrake 9.2 kernel install clobbers grub config!?

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Fri Jun 18 00:31:15 EDT 2004

i worked on a suse enterprise linux installation a few months back.  we
installed a second scsi card for a tape drive, rebooted the box, it
asked if we wanted to add this device to the initrd (we said no since
it wasn't a boot device).  suse then proceeds to modify initrd anyway,
actually trashes it completely, along with a bunch of other system
files (modules.conf, etc), rewrites stuff in /boot, just hoses the
system completely, totally unbootable.  we ended up having to reimage
the system from backups.  and this was the ENTERPRISE version, not the
free-as-in-beer-no-warranty-expresses-or-implied consumer version.

so don't feel bad, you're not alone :-)

jason